“To be truly open-minded is to accept the possibility that you may be wrong, and that you are willing to change your position in the face of incontrovertible evidence.” – R. Finley
Atlanta native, Reginald Vaughn Finley, Sr. (born in 1974) is a Science Educator, Critical Thinking Educator, Consumer Health Advocate and an Evidence-Based Genealogist.
I have conducted informal research, research articles, and surveys on GMO Golden Rice, Natural Cancer Treatments, Popular Supplements, Biological Evolution, Polar Bear Adaptation and more..
Please contact me if you have any questions, comments, or concerns. I am available for lectures, discussions, debates, and media appearances.
> Ph.D. Natural Science Education, Oct, 2022
> MPH. Public Health, Oct 2023
> M.Sc. Biological Sciences, 2016
> M.Ed. Science and The Public, 2013
> B.Sc. Human Development, 2011
> A.A. Liberal Arts, 2014
> CFI Certificate – Science and The Public
> Certificate – Human Biomedical Research
> Certificate – Research Ethics
> Certificate – Public Health
> Certificate – Nutrition
> Senior Biology Instructor – 2018-Present
> Physical Science Faculty – 2019-2021
> Visiting Biology Professor– 2018-2022
> AP Chemistry Teacher – 2018-2019
> Science Chair, Advanced Sciences Educator – 2016-2018
> Biology Instructor, 2015-2016
> Osteological Sciences Educator, 2015
> Physical Science Educator, 2012-2014
> Toxicological Technician, 2012
Latest VBLOG POSTS
Most Recent Blog Posts
- Dunning-Kruger Effect - How even the brightest of us can appear quite dim. Have you ever had a conversation with someone about something you are passionate and knowledgeable about? Most of us have and it’s natural to share and impart our cumulative knowledge with the rest of the world. However, what if you don’t know as much as… Continue reading Dunning-Kruger Effect
- Updates: 04/28/2022 - Hi folks, I know it’s been a while. I have decided to go back into the classroom. As such, you may have noticed that many of my old websites are now shut down. This is so that I can represent my new employer with the level of professionalism and reflective caution the county expects of… Continue reading Updates: 04/28/2022
- How to Spot Fake Medical / Science Claims: Episode #2 – Scientific Studies, Marketing, and Bias - You have all seen it. You are in some online venue in which some controversial topic comes up in science, health, or medicine and invariably, someone will post a link to a “scientific” article supporting their claims. How do you determine what is valid and what is not? Let’s take a look: 1.) Website Links:… Continue reading How to Spot Fake Medical / Science Claims: Episode #2 – Scientific Studies, Marketing, and Bias
- Glyphosate Meme - I posted a new meme that’s making the rounds. Feel free to connect with me on my other social media networks if you also believe that science, critical thinking, evidence, and our planet is worth fighting for. 🙂 ~ Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, AmazingLife.Bio, Instagram, Snapchat ~ F
- Accepted two new teaching positions - I am now teaching at Ultimate Medical Academy full-time in which I will be teaching primarily General Biology. I have also accepted a position at Sonoran Desert Institute in which I will be teaching the Physical Sciences. I am looking forward to my new adventures.
“I am afraid that we are failing ourselves and our collective future. We need a society that encourages rational thought, critical thinking, intellectual honesty, humanism, freethought, scientific thinking, honesty, courage, and the freedom to question. In our schools, we need passionate educators that love their fields and who know how to impart that passion onto others. Teachers passing content knowledge exams and achieving high student test scores will not fix: our unsupported biases, our dichotomous political system, our religious and cultural intolerances, our greed, the celebration and perpetuation of violence, a rising anti-intellectualism, the constant fake news, and our gleeful and purposeful ignorances. To move toward a more enlightened world, we must continue to reach out through civic passion, patience, purposeful listening and understanding, self-reflective honesty, and we must produce truly decent and intelligent citizens for our youth to model. As educators, parents, and concerned citizens, we can begin by placing a foot on the right path, by at least modifying our curriculum in all fields, in ways which help to drive aspects of what we wish our society to eventually become. In time, hopefully we can produce a world that is far better off than where we are now. With conscientious effort, we can avert this idiocratic dark age that we appear to be spiraling into. It begins, with you.” – Reginald V. Finley Sr
What is Critical Thinking?
My favorite video about Critical Thinking by Qualia Soup:
Society for Science & The Public |National Center for Science Education | Teacher’s Institute for Evolutionary Science | National Science Teachers Association | American Institute of Biological Sciences | Delta Kappa Pi | Florida Association of Science Teachers